Each year, the South African Association of Botanists awards “SAAB Scholarships”, to SADEC graduates with 70% or above grade average. In 2022, three awards of R12 000 for 1 year of tertiary study at Honours level (or 4th year level of study) in any botanically related science will be granted to three registered students, on a competitive basis. The successful applicants should study at a South African institution. The supervisor of the student must be a paid-up member of SAAB. The successful awardee(s) will receive a one-year complimentary SAAB membership.
In addition, the SAAB Council also awards one MSc scholarship worth R40 000. Successful applicants will receive R20 000 the first year and an additional R20 000 the following year if satisfactory progress is made in the first year. The same terms and conditions as for the Honours scholarship apply, except that the applicants must have graduated with a BSc Honours degree with a minimum grade average of 70% and be in their first year of MSc study. The bursary awardee will receive a complimentary SAAB membership for two years.
How to apply (please include with application):
- Submit a curriculum vitae with names of two referees.
- Provide a letter of motivation from your supervisor.
- Submit certified academic transcripts. (If your certified academic transcript is not available yet, please provide your marks with a letter from the course coordinator confirming them -on an institutional letterhead). The bursary awardee will need to provide their certified academic transcript before the bursary payment will be made. Note that applicants with an average of <70% are NOT eligible for consideration.
- Provide a one-page motivation, including a description of your proposed research interests.
- Disclose name(s) of other bursaries/scholarships applied for and amount(s).
- Complete the SAAB Bursary Cover Form attached to this document and send it with your application. Please take note that applications submitted without the SAAB Bursary Cover Form will not be accepted. (click here to download the cover form)
- Post your application by the deadline: 28 February 2022.
Please note that complete submissions are critical as applicants will be assessed on all documents mentioned above in points 1-6.
No late applications will be considered. The Council also reserves the rights not to make any awards should the candidates not fulfil all criteria. Successful candidates will be notified mid-March of the year of the award. The decision of the adjudicating committee is final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
Please post applications electronically (in .pdf format) to the Secretary: SAABsecretary@gmail.com
For academic enquiries contact:
Prof Glynis Goodman-Cron