The South African Association of Botanists (SAAB) is pleased to welcome
applications for the Sara Nigro Award for Women Achievers in Plant Sciences.
This award is worth R4000 and the prize will be awarded annually. The prize may be utilized towards academic books, software, membership of a professional
association, a training course, workshop or conference attendance.
– The candidate must be a female member of SAAB working in the field of
– There is no age-limit to the award; however, the candidate must be registered
as a student or post-doctoral researcher at a South African University or other
appropriate Research Institution.
– The main supervisor of the candidate must be a paid-up member of SAAB.
– The candidate should provide a motivation of how they intend to spend the
– The prize must be utilized within one calendar year from the announcement of
Please include the following in your application:
- A curriculum vitae with the names of two referees.
- A letter of motivation by the candidate,
- A short endorsement and signature from the main supervisor / host must be
- Proof of registration at a South African University or other appropriate Research
- Please submit applications by the deadline: 31 March 2021 at 24h00.
Please email applications (in .pdf format) to the Secretary:
No late applications will be considered. The award will be adjudicated by the SAAB
Council and Dr Sara Nigro. The award is made on a competitive basis and the
Council reserves the right not to make an award should no candidate fulfil all the
criteria. The decision of the adjudicating committee is final, and no correspondence will be entered into. The successful candidate will be notified by 30 April 2021.
For enquiries contact: SAABsecretary@gmail.com.