Sara Nigro Award for Women Achievers in Plant Sciences
The South African Association of Botany (SAAB) is pleased to welcome applications for the Sara Nigro Award for Women Achievers in Plant Sciences. This award is worth R4000 and one prize will be awarded annually. The prize may be utilized towards books (may include software), membership of an association, a training course, workshop or conference attendance.
- The candidate must be a female member of SAAB working in the field of Plant Sciences.
- There is no age-limit to the award; however, the candidate must be registered as a student or post-doctoral researcher at a South African University or other appropriate Research Institution.
- The main supervisor of the candidate must be a member of SAAB in good standing.
- The candidate must have shown initiative and exploratory work in their field and/or have provided a valuable contribution to their field.
- The successful candidate should provide proof to the Council that the award was used for the intended purpose, namely a book, a training course, workshop or conference attendance. Proof should include receipt for books/software, or letter of acceptance/printed abstract for workshops and conferences.
- The successful candidate should supply the Executive Secretary with a short report or justification on their use of the award by the end of March 2021.
- The prize must be utilized within one calendar year from the announcement of the award.
Please include the following in your application:
1. A curriculum vitae with the names of two referees.
2. A letter of motivation from the candidate’s main supervisor.
3. A 1-page letter of motivation by the candidate, including a description of how the candidate intends to spend the award.
4. Proof of registration at a South African University or other appropriate Research Institution.
5. Please submit applications by the deadline: 15 May 2020 at 24h00.
Please email applications (in .pdf format) to the Secretary:
No late applications will be considered. The award will be adjudicated by the SAAB Council and Dr Sara Nigro. The award is made on a competitive basis and the Council reserves the right not to make an award should no candidate fulfill all the criteria. The decision of the adjudicating committee is final, and no correspondence will be entered into. The successful candidate will be notified by 30 May 2020.
For enquiries contact: SAABsecretary@gmail.com.